St. Michaelís golden-domed Monastery
The functioning monastery is located in the Upper Town on the edge of a old-kiev's hill, across the St. Sophia Cathedral and have magnificent views of the other bank of the Dnieper river.
Originally built in the Middle Ages the exterior was rebuilt in the Ukrainian Baroque style in the 18th century while the interior remained in its original Byzantine style. The main cathedral of the monastery was completely demolished in the 1930s, but was later reconstructed.
St.Michael's Cathedral was built in 1108-13 by Prince Svyatopolk (Michael) Izyaslavovich of Kiev in his "paternal" St. Demetrios monastery. In 1240, the temple was plundered by Khan Batu's hordes, the traces of St. Demetrios Monastery disappeared even earlier. Not later than the 14th cent., St. Michaels Church became a monastery cathedral. The cathedral contained one of the best known Christian sacred objects - the relics of St. Barbara (currently kept in St. Volodimir's Cathedral). The temple and the Monastery were particularly important for Kyivites, as Archangel Michael is considered the divine patron of Kiev.
In 1934-37, the St.Michael's Cathedral - a masterpiece of the 12th-18th cent. architecture and arts - was destroyed along with many other monastery structures of the 18-19th cent. Only the refectory with the Church of St. John Chrystom has survived. In 1994, the monastic community reappeared. In 1997-99, most of the Monastery complex was built anew.
Open: 10:00 - 18:00
Address: 6 Tryohsvyatytelska str., Kiev.
Location: near the Sofia Square.