The Saint Sophia Cathedral is the first Ukrainian patrimony to be inscribed on the World Heritage List. The St. Sofia church - oldest survived monument of Kievan Rus entered on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The cathedral was built in 1037 and rebuilt in 1263 and 1740 to its present look.
One of the biggest Christian temples of its time was built by Prince Yaroslav the Wise in honor of Sofia - the divine Wisdom. In the 11th - 20th cent., St. Sofia Cathedral was the main temple of the Kiev Metropolitanate. Its architectural composition resembles the image of the city of God - Celestial Jerusalem. In 1685 - 1707, the cathedral was overhauled in the Baroque style.
Its interiors are of particular interest. Out of 640 sq. m. of old Rus mosaic, 260 sq. m. have survived; the composition is centered around the image of Christ the Pantocrator on the main cupola. The Virgin Orans mosaic, the Eucharist and the Church Fathers images are well preserved. Some 3000 sq. m. of frescos have survived as well. The cathedral contains the sarcophagus of Yaroslav the Wise and his wife Irina.
Main Belltower of the cathedral was built in 1699 - 1706.
In 1934 the government decided the cathedral was converted into a historical museum.
The original Saint Sophia Cathedral miniature model is exhibited in the cathedral.
Main tower of the St. Sofia Cathedral is open for visitors, and a 42 meter high bell tower you can enjoy the magnificent panorama of the wonderful city.
Located on the Sofia square, old-Kiev hill.
Open: 10:00 - 18:00
Address: 24 Vladimirskaya str., Kiev.