Askold's Grave

Askold's Grave and Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

This historic area near the crossing of Dneprovsky Descent and Park Road was part of the ancient Ugric Tract. According to 18th century legend, Prince Oleg killed Kiev rulers Askold and Dir not far from the present Church of St. Nicholas in 882. The legend says that Prince Askold was buried in that place but it is more likely that the grave of the first Christian ruler of Kiev, which Askold was supposed to be, was situated somewhat higher. At least, the old Rus chronicle explicitly points to a "Hill" in the Ugric Tract.

From the 15th till the late 17th century, the area of Askold's Grave accommodated St. Nicholas Hermitage Monastery (according to a legend, Askold's Christian name was Nicholas). Before the end of the 18th cent., there was a monastery cemetery with a wooden temple there. Than, the area was transferred to the city. The present building of St. Nicholas Rotunda Church appeared in 1810. In 1992, the former Orthodox temple was transferred to Greek-catholic church.

 

Address Location: Dnipro descent, Park Road (near the intersection).

Schedule: The territory of the complex is open around the clock.
How to get: to the territory of the Askold's grave to go on foot. Public transport does not go on the Dnieper descent.

You can get there from the Slavy Square, which is located near the Metro station Arsenalna, as well as a trolley 38 to stop the Park of Glory, or by bus 62 which goes from the Podol.